Description: A fawn pottery oil lamp with the shoulder decorated with impressed palm fronds and with a low lug handle. Soot deposits around the wick hole, the filler hole chipped, a chip to the spout and the underside, minor surface wear and some hairline cracks, but sound, probably from Palestine.
Size: 86 mm/3.4 ins. in length
Date: c. 5th-8th Century A.D.
Provenance: From the Collection of Sir John Barnes (1917-1992), British Ambassador to Israel 1969-72, and British Ambassador to the Netherlands 1972-77.