Description: Four ancient pottery lamps found in Israel presented together in an olive wood box. The lamps comprise a fawn pottery cocked-hat lamp measuring 120 mm/4.7 ins. across; an orange pottery Herodian lamp measuring 90 mm/3.5 ins. in length; a late Roman lamp, the shoulder decorated with moulded pellets, oblique lines and palm fronds, with a cross moulded between the filler and wick holes, measuring 80 mm/3.1 ins. in length; and a circular Byzantine lamp with the shoulder decorated with moulded palm fronds, measuring 62 mm/2.4 ins. across. All lamps showing surface wear, some encrustation and soot deposits around the wick holes.
Size: The box measuring 375 x 187 x 68 mm/14.8 x 7.3 x 2.7 ins. in dimensions.
Culture: Near Eastern/Roman/Byzantine
Date: c. 8th Century B.C. - 7th Century A.D.
Provenance: From the Collection of Sir John Barnes (1917-1992), British Ambassador to Israel 1969-1972, and British Ambassador to the Netherlands 1972-1977.