Description: A pale blue glass unguentarium with a broad flat base, bell-shaped body and elongate tubular neck rising to a folded rim. Some small cracks to the neck near the rim and rather bubbly glass, but sound. Recorded on the base as being found in Palestine.
Size: 130 mm/5.1 ins. high
Date: c. 1st - 2nd Century A.D.
Provenance: Ex West Sussex private collection and with Hugh Fawcetts collectors mark on the base.
Background: Dr Hugh Alderson Fawcett (1891-1982) built up an important collection of ancient implements, weapons and ornaments that eventually numbered some eight thousand items. The bulk of this collection is now in the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery. This is the first piece of Roman glass bearing his distinctive collectors mark that we have seen.